Sunday, May 29, 2011

Decorating on a Dime...part two.

I don't watch a lot of TV, I find most of the contents range from the ridiculous to the mundane, so when I do turn the TV on it's usually to watch HGTV.

The only complaint I have about that station is I really wish they would show how middle American's live.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the sneak peaks into beautiful homes that I can only dream of affording, but the majority of us can't afford a villa in Belize.

So this post is dedicated to all those who can't afford to hire an Interior decorator or expensive furniture.

I live paycheck to paycheck, and over the years I have learned to stretch a dollar till it screams.

Yesterday I hit pay dirt.

And for under the cost of one month's previous furniture payment, I have acquired every thing I need to furnish and decorate my room.

I had one more shop to visit, so after work, my daughter and I took off down the road.

I found these:




I took these home for $75.00 for BOTH.

I cleaned up the wooden one and put it in my room with the intentions of using it until I got the white one finished, then switching them out and painting it.

But the more I look at the finish on it, the more I think it would be a shame to paint it.  I love the different tones of wood grain, the hardware is in excellent shape and I think it's a beautiful piece of furniture.

The white one is in the basement, the hardware is off, it's been sanded and the first coat of paint applied.



It needs new hardware, the wooden knobs had so much paint on them they were hard to get off.  They also didn't match, someone had apparently replaced a couple of them.  It has one unusual element, it has wooden caster wheels on it, and they are in good shape.

I am very excited about these pieces, after haunting every junk shop and a couple yard sales, I finally found what I was looking for.

My point is, with a little work, a little paint, resourcefulness and creativity, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on decorating.


For example, this is my 'make do' headboard.  Scarf: $12.00 at Kmart.  Two hooks which you can't really see, $7.99 at Walmart.  The wrought iron decoration... $12.95 at Burke's Outlet.  The pictures and candle holders were all under $10.00 a piece at various dollar stores.

I didn't buy it all at once, a few dollars here and there doesn't break the budget.

One step at a time it's finally all coming together.

No comments: